The High Notes: Sex, Censorship & EqualityLast updated September 5, 2018
The High Notes – Issue #34
Welcome back to The High Notes – your curation of the best and most pleasurable news from around the world.
This issue, we’re talking about:
Masturbation repetition. Language & trans equality. Sex hotline. Censorship. Animal toys. The Deuce. Anorgasmia. Mixing business & pleasure. Sex spectrums.
STACCATO – short and sharp, quick reads
– Refinery29 asked the question: Is it bad to masturbate the same way each time? My answer: no, but changing it up now and then might help you learn more about your body and your pleasure.
– One of the longest running trans adult entertainment sites has renamed itself and rebranded, dropping stigmatising terms such as “shemale”. Great step forward for the industry. Vice chatted with them about the change.
– A slight tangent – but a 3D printed arm is the most realistic prosthetic I’ve seen. Robotics & design are taking such huge leaps forward at the moment. Mashable takes a closer look in this video.
– A new helpline in Lebanon is encouraging people to talk more about sex. It’s especially important in areas that don’t have good access to sex ed. Another great organisation I want to plug on this topic is Love Matters – who operate across multiple countries.
A PIACERE – enjoy at your pleasure
– I was pleasantly surprised to see the London School of Economics (LSE) blog take a look at sexual censorship on the internet – the author ends up arguing for less regulation. Fascinating read.
– Why are so many sex toys for women shaped like animals? I didn’t think about this at all until I read the title of this article, and I suddenly realised how bizarre it is that they are.
– How often do women need to explain that penetration isn’t everything, before everyone gets it? Once more, clearly.
– Looking for a new TV show? The Deuce – an HBO show about sex work in the 70s – might be for you. Vanity Fair reviews the show that takes a sympathetic look at what is usually portrayed as seedy.
ADAGIO – longer reads, dive a little deeper
– Bustle talks to women who can’t orgasm about their sex lives. It’s enlightening.
– Following last week’s article on China… How China’s male sex workers mix business with pleasure. Also with technology. The lines between paid hookups and genuine attraction are blurring.
– An important article – sex is not something you should have to endure. And anal sex is not the only other option for women suffering from painful vaginal intercourse.
– Scientific American looks at how we might visualise sex and gender as a spectrum. With many more mainstream brands taking a more gender neutral approach to their products
Phew! A fairly long issue – lots of fascinating things to talk about. And plenty more that I just couldn’t fit in.
As always – if there’s a particular topic that fascinates you and you’d like me to cover more of, just hit reply and let me know.
Let’s keep elevating the discussion on pleasure.