The High Notes — Swinging, Oral Sex, SexualityLast updated September 5, 2018
The High Notes – Issue #26
This issue, we’re talking about:
Mile High Club. Maggie West. Pop culture & sex. Tom of Finland. Swinging. Oral sex. Sexuality and autism.
STACCATO — short and sharp, quick reads
- UK music festivals are taking a stand against sexual violence with a formal charter pledging zero tolerance. They’ll also hold a web blackout on Monday 8th May.
- Seems like we’re eschewing joining the mile high club for sex in the airport instead. Less turbulance, I guess?!
- Need a new coffee table book? Consider 23 by Maggie West, whose wonderful nude portraits showcase gender & sexuality.
A PIACERE — enjoy at your pleasure
- “How my mother used pop culture to teach me about sex”. Not just any pop culture — 90’s pop culture.
- The Muse published a great interview with the makers of film Tom of Finland, which tells the story of gay artist Touko Laaksonen, whose explicit drawings became iconic in the 1980’s. The discussion touches on current events in Chechnya.
- One from the archives: women, swinging, sex and seduction — debunking the misconception that in heterosexual couples, it’s the man who drives and dominates swinging.
ADAGIO — longer reads, dive a little deeper
- Does anyone believe oral sex is risky anymore? Inspired by her experience at a sex party attended by sex educators, one journalist explores the worrying trend that people aren’t using protection for oral sex.
- When sex is a foreign language: Scientific American takes an in-depth look at sexuality and autism.
I’ll be in Amsterdam week after next for The Next Web — let me know if you’re around!
This week I was captivated by a wonderful yet heartbreaking spoken word performance, which quickly went viral with over 23m views. Powerful.
Let’s keep elevating the discussion on pleasure.
Stephanie Alys x